Here’s an beautiful synth project I found by Steve Roberts at Amongst Projects that utilizes some work I did back in 2012 with my Arduino LFO. It’s always a pleasure to find my own work buried in someone else’s. I recommend heading over and checking out the post. You won’t be sorry.
after our move to Oregon two months ago, i’m finally getting back to a spot where i can do more building and experimentation. that being said, my arduino-based sampler/synth is getting a rebuild to make it more capable and road-worthy.
the LED segment display is currently showing voltage out what should be 5v DC. i think the power adapter might be limited on the amount of current it can provide which is creating a voltage drop. either that or the 3.3v and 5v pins are reading the load from the BJT stage which stabilizes and adds sonic color to the PWM output. also, i’ve dropped in an ATMega2560 board and removed the 328p for added storage and memory for more sample time. with some code revisions, i’m hoping to keep the processor for locking up when adding lots of modulations.
here’s an update on the new additions/approach to the Mellotronium. i’m attempting to redo the SD card routines once i get the functionality added. using the SD library just doesn’t work right when reading byte values at 8kHz. i’ve looked into the WaveHC library with the most success, but had to modify not to use an external DAC. a new wav file playing solution from the SD card will have to be found.
without the clunky SD lib, program space has opened up… a lot of it in fact. now i’ve started using a wavetable. this video just has a single sine wave, but it’s modulate with the LFO and its seven different waveforms not to mention an amplitude modulating ADSR filter.
the breadboard to the side contains an experimental active 2-band EQ (TLO82-based) which needs some work. if anyone has any experience with this, i would love to know why the schematic in the datasheet doesn’t work at all. i wound up having to recall the usage from a different schematic where you make a voltage divider from and peer it into the positive terminal on both opamps. it works… in a way. i think i’ve inverted the wave form or something strange. it also sometimes works better as a radio than an EQ which i think i like. it made for some interesting heterodyning.