initial PCB milling test…

pcb_test1

here’s an initial PCB test for the Triode tube overdrive on the SMBA site. this picture is pre-sanding. it was milled using LinuxCNC on a Xubuntu 14.04 LTS running the Xenomai-2.6.2.1 kernel version 3.5.7. it’s taken some time to get the configuration working and compiled since i didn’t want to use the live CD. the CNC machine is a Chinese 3020T that i got off eBay. the board layout was done in EagleCAD using the PCB-GCODE ULP script.

pcb milling test from abram on Vimeo.

LFO modulated simple VCF

lfo_vcf_rev_aa001

this is a rough draft of a circuit i’ve been working on based of the Simple VCF circuit floating out there. a big thanks to the original author for that. i’m sure there are some mistakes in here. it’s an odd one for sure, but it works on the breadboard. the opamp is a TL072. square-wave input from the generator comes out pretty sine-wave like which is what is desired. the output is a little noisy, but i will work that out with time.

DOD FX69B Grunge insanity mod…

dod_fx69b

this “insanity” mod makes this pedal sound much more insane that the original version. i dropped in a couple of germanium clipping diodes between gain stages for a warmer, beefier tone and decided to mess with the active filters that control the two-band EQ. the filters now allow each band to be driven into cutoff to make more PWM type wave forms when in the lower positions. if the player doesn’t want 8-bit computer sounds, he or she can bring the filters up to the horizon level (about 90 degrees on the left side of the straight up postition) to acheive cutoff when no signal is present from the instrument. i also maxed out the gain for a ferociously loud effect. the “loud” knob under the halfway mark about 7dB over the clean signal. both audio samples are recorded direct with no effects whatsoever.

original sound:

modded sound(s):

this item is for sale on eBay.

mellotronium 2.0: rebuild

mellotronium_2

after our move to Oregon two months ago, i’m finally getting back to a spot where i can do more building and experimentation. that being said, my arduino-based sampler/synth is getting a rebuild to make it more capable and road-worthy.

the LED segment display is currently showing voltage out what should be 5v DC. i think the power adapter might be limited on the amount of current it can provide which is creating a voltage drop. either that or the 3.3v and 5v pins are reading the load from the BJT stage which stabilizes and adds sonic color to the PWM output. also, i’ve dropped in an ATMega2560 board and removed the 328p for added storage and memory for more sample time. with some code revisions, i’m hoping to keep the processor for locking up when adding lots of modulations.

a document of the plodding mind.