here’s an update on the new additions/approach to the Mellotronium. i’m attempting to redo the SD card routines once i get the functionality added. using the SD library just doesn’t work right when reading byte values at 8kHz. i’ve looked into the WaveHC library with the most success, but had to modify not to use an external DAC. a new wav file playing solution from the SD card will have to be found.
without the clunky SD lib, program space has opened up… a lot of it in fact. now i’ve started using a wavetable. this video just has a single sine wave, but it’s modulate with the LFO and its seven different waveforms not to mention an amplitude modulating ADSR filter.
the breadboard to the side contains an experimental active 2-band EQ (TLO82-based) which needs some work. if anyone has any experience with this, i would love to know why the schematic in the datasheet doesn’t work at all. i wound up having to recall the usage from a different schematic where you make a voltage divider from and peer it into the positive terminal on both opamps. it works… in a way. i think i’ve inverted the wave form or something strange. it also sometimes works better as a radio than an EQ which i think i like. it made for some interesting heterodyning.
i’ve been pretty Arduino obsessed over the past month. i got in my head this idea about building a midi-controlled digital sampler that uses SD cards for storage after thumbing through the Arduino Cookbook and have finally started to make some headway on the project.
there were some major obstacle to overcome, unfortunately. the first came about when i had some trouble loading the larger libraries (e.g. MIDI.h, SD.h). i spent days trying to figure out what the problem was and even went so far as to update the bootloader to use optiboot. it turned out to be the version of GCC that i was using to compile my sketches. the toolchain setup on Gentoo is no easy task, so i went ahead and just compiled it manually. for those of you tempting to use develop AVR software in a Linux environment, i’d recommend the avr-libc install guide as your path to unbridled success. i myself could never get cross-dev to work with out failing and it needs certain USE flags which it just always overrode when i specified them.
from then on, things were pretty standard. i was able to load SD.h and begin reading files from the card. i used simple voltage dividers to convert the ATMega328’s 5v logic to the SD’s 3.3v like the standard schematic shows and then hacked up the PCMAudio Library to work as i’ve wanted. i borrow some of the techniques from Max’s article on generating real-time audio using PCM. much different than my overall goal, but extremely educational. if you’re baffled by the ATMega328’s use of PWM as i was, Ken Sherif’s article on PWM will clear all that up.
the code’s not worth posting at the moment. it’s a commented out mess of gray. i’ll most likely post it (for my own sake) when i’ve got more of the kinks worked out.